Application Deadline | Sunday, 16th February at 5 pm GMT
This Publishing Fellowship programme is open to early career publishers and creative writers intending to self-publish their manuscripts. Applicants will be selected from Uganda, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique.
The Publishing Fellowship programme was designed to create a step-change in the book sector in Africa, by focusing on professional development of upcoming talent in African publishing over three years (2018-2021). The overall objective of the programme is to facilitate the sharing of knowledge, skills, expertise, experiences and collaborative learning between the more experienced publishers and the early career and emerging ones.
The programme will be delivered at two levels:
- Mentoring and Training Workshop (Residential)
The Mentoring and Training workshop will be held in Uganda from 8th to 14th March 2020. The workshop will consist of a variety of sessions including:
- What You Need to Know Before Getting into Self-publishing
- How to Make Money out of Your Writing/Publishing?
- Understanding Legal Aspects Surrounding Writing and Publishing
- How Do You Choose a Book Cover that Tells Your Story?
- Seed Funding
At the end of the workshop, all Fellows will be invited to make an application for the seed funding budget worth EURO 4,200. The specific aim of the seed funding budget is to ensure that the winning project gets the resources it requires to produce a model publication that adheres to acceptable international publishing standards – and to which other publishers can aspire to; and learn from. The winner will be expected to publish the book within the prescribed timelines.
- The opportunity for mutual learning from publishing experts.
- The opportunity to network with other emerging publishers and writers.
- The opportunity to engage with peers and trainers on a one-to one
- Air travel expenses for the successful candidates will be covered.
- Accommodation and meals expenses for the successful candidates will be provided for the duration of the workshop.
- Out of Pocket allowance will NOT be provided.
Eligibility — Who can apply?
The successful candidates MUST have an on-going project in the form of a manuscript which they are developing for publication; and are committed, enthusiastic, and looking to further their skills and experience in the book industry.
The following can apply:
- Early career and emerging publishers.
- Self-publishing creative writers.
- Individuals working in the publishing industry.
You must be available for the Training and Mentoring Workshop dates from 8th to 14th March, 2020.
Eligible applicants are asked to send one file containing the following information:
- A completed Application Form
- Cover Letter (no more than 300 words)
- Sample of Work-in-Progress (no more than one page-500 words)
The deadline for submitting applications is Sunday, 16th February at 5 pm GMT to:
Please include in Subject Line: African Writers Trust Publishing Fellowship Programme Application.
If you are interested in participating in this programme, please contact us on the above email addresses, or telephone number +256 752 570 573 and we shall send you the application form and cover letter guidelines.
Only successful applicants will be contacted by Friday, 21st February 2020.